Today I will tell you a very simple sweet that was prepared at Christmas time: the crunchy almonds, another typical recipe of Lucania.
It is an ancient dish with simple ingredients and very tasty.
When I were small, my mother prepared that and I was very delighted. They were like cherries!
In the winters of the years ’70, in my home town, Potenza, fell a lot of snow. So, at Christmas time, we were all at home playing bingo.
On the table there were not too many sweets and even gifts and so much waste. For us children, the party was also nibble those small and delicious homemade sweets, crunchy almond.
Difficulty: very low
Toast time: 5 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Total time: 15 min
4 tbsp shelled almonds
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
1 teaspoon of lemon
The origin of this sweet, enjoyed by young and old, is somewhat controversial.
According to an ancient legend told by Ovid, almond was born into one of those unlucky loves of ancient Greece.
Some historicals attribute the authorship to Spanish pastry chefs while others argue that the crunchy sweet origins in southern Italy, around the 13th century, as a descendant of an Arab cake made with almonds, honey and spices.
In Lucania, just in the south of Italy, this cake is known as “asleep mother-in-law” to say that is so good that it can “sleep” the mother-in-law!
It is said that once a young, to be alone with his girlfriend without being under the watchful eye of her mother-in-law, brought to her the crunchy almonds. The mother-in-law was distracted by the goodness of sweet and so the young man could embrace his girlfriend.
Today, unfortunately, it is a story of the past…
1. Place the shelled almonds on a baking sheet with parchment paper and toast for 5 minutes.
2. Place sugar, water and lemon juice in a pan, add the toasted almonds and stir continuously over low heat with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts and begins to bubble.
3. When the sugar begins to thicken and begins to coat the almonds, continue to stir quickly.
4. Remove from heat when the mixture takes its amber color and place in a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Place the crunchy almonds so you get a rectangular shape.
6. Let cool the tablet until it is solidified.
7. In order to enhance the flavor, put half a lemon over the surface of crusty before it is completely cold.
At this point, choose a movie to watch, sit on the couch with the little bowl of crunchy almonds right and the love of your life left and enjoy your evening!